How To Send Large Files via FTP
When the files are too large to email, you can send send us your files via FTP. FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and it is a means of transferring files between computers on a network or uploading them to the Internet.
To upload files using FTP, you must access the folder, which is created for you on our website. To do this you need an FTP software application. While there are a number of them available, we will focus on one commonly used FTP software called FileZilla. FileZilla is a freeware, so you can download it and use it free.
Download FileZilla and install it on your computer. Once you have done that, you can use the program to upload your files to our website by following the instructions.
Note 1: We will provide you with the FTP host name as well as the FTP login name and password. You will need this information to gain access to your folder online.
Note 2: If you have difficulty connecting to our FTP site with FileZilla, please make sure that your local Internet settings (firewall, anti-virus, IE Internet Options Security Settings, etc.) are not blocking you from connecting to the server on Port: 21.
Step by step instructions
Launch FileZilla to open the main file transfer screen.
1-2-3: Enter provided host name, username, and the password.
IMPORTANT: NO “www” or “http” goes in front of the host name – you enter “ftp” as the prefix to the address); username MUST include @pro-filemarketing.com (Ex: firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Once your connection is established, you will see your folder of our website (remote site) on the right side of the screen (empty by default). Find the files you want to upload on your local machine by moving through the folder tree on the left side of your screen.
5. Highlight the files you want to upload (Ctrl+ click to select multiple files, Command+ click for Mac users)
6. Drag-and-drop them into the target folder in the window on the right side of your screen.
7. You can watch the transfer process in the window at the bottom of your screen.
8. Tab shows the files that are being uploaded
9. Tab shows files that are failed and have not been transferred.
10. Tab shows successfully transferred files. If the upload has been completed successfully, you will see that copies of your uploaded files have appeared in the right window of your screen. If they do, congratulations! You have successfully uploaded your files.
If you want to upload revised versions of these files at a later date, just follow the same process and confirm when prompted to OVERWRITE the file with the same name on the server.
IMPORTANT: Once you OVERWRITE a file by uploading a new version with the same name, the original file cannot be retrieved from the website. Please make sure that you really want the new file to overwrite the old file before you click OK.
Once you have finished uploading your large files, close your connection to the website by going to the menu Server – Disconnect. You can then close the FileZilla program.
Please contact us today if you have any questions.